Author Topic: GSM autodialler (power failure)  (Read 2568 times)

bioaquafarm

• View Profile
    • bioaquafarm.co.uk
GSM autodialler (power failure)
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:31:21 11:31 »
Does anyone have any experience with radio signal and electronic devices?
I need help to undertand if I can possibly use this piece of technology to alert me when there is a power failure, and because there is no phone line in the field I need a GSM operating instruments, I do not undertand so much about this type of technology and much appreciated any inmput.

I have fund one that does a the job but I can not say if it is a good one or a DIY piece of kit!

http://www.gsm-activate.co.uk/page2.html

AquaVeg

• Administrator
  • Keep it sustainably GREEN
    • View Profile
    • AquaVeg
Re: GSM autodialler (power failure)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:20:53 13:20 »
What I think would be good is a app running on a cheap phone that will monitor the charger voltage and when it stops send a text to you saying mains fail Rich from Bristol Wireless can help give him a call I have spoken to him about it  rgds JP

Dillon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:56 18:49 »
Hi Antonio, autodialers have been used in the security and surveillance industry for many Years, the majority of which are designed for landline use with a limited selection capable for GSM utilisation.  Most are designed for connections to specific OEM products although with an understanding of their functionality can be connected to other systems, one drawback of using these products priced around the £125-£225 bracket is that you would be paying for more functionality than you intend to use such as different recorded messages sent to multiple users and PA systems, coded messages sent to monitoring stations etc.

It would appear with the product you have found that the manufacturers have identified appropriate markets for base products and the autodialer with 2 x inputs, one to generate a phone call and the second for a text message is ideal for your purposes, and an additional function I particularly like is the output function where youcan call the unit and it will switch a 10A output relay allowing you to remotely control components connected locally to the device.

You can of course always go down the cheap and cheerful route and buy a Chinese import on ebay or the likes for a fraction of the cost of the one advertised, but the GSM Activate is made in the UK with a two Year guarantee and telephone support if needed and comes complete with an IP rated enclosure, for my money it’s worth the peace of mind, the only question I would have would be the specification and provision of the PSU as warranties of such GSM devices would be dependent upon specific supply characteristics.

As for using an app on a mobile phone? I really don’t know, mobile communications aren’t one of my strengths, I consider them a frustrating but necessary evil, of all the mobile communicators and smartphones I’ve owned over the last 10 Years or so they had one thing in common whether it was a Symbian, IOS, Android or Microsoft OS, without exception they all required, and still do require regular updates and soft/hard reboots when some apps and or the phones OS unexpectedly stops responding.

Regards

bioaquafarm

• View Profile
    • bioaquafarm.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:37 00:04 »
thank you all for the input, I'm happy to try and test it, I've spoken to the manufacturer and they have been very helpful and explain any question very clearly. Now my challenge will be to connect a 240/12v relay to switch aerators to battery back up in case of power shortage, and another relay to alert me of the power shortage, and possibly a way to get it back on main line if power comes back. Sounds complicated to me but surely any electronics passionate could figure out.
Initially I was thinking of connecting a digital starter generator to my aerators then considering running cost it's better on batteries for a few hours (I have a 2400w generator in stand-by! it's my insurance policy)

Dillon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:55:26 09:55 »
Hi Antonio, you will need an in depth discussion with your electrician to configure everything you need to happen during a power failure and restoration as everything needs to work together with the security you are happy with and the confidence it will all work as design.  I feel there are too many variables for anyone to advise over an internet forum to provide the security in design without intimate knowledge of your electrical installation and overall backup design philosophy, for instance, restoring power to some circuits doesn’t necessarily guarantee the operation of the devices connected to those circuits, you may have motor starters protecting your pumps or pressure/level/control switches which will require human intervention for a re-start or re-set so an auto-reset function may or may not even be successful.

In theory, your Autodialer, in the event of a power failure and in addition to sending texts and making phone calls, in combination with the addition of a 240v DPDT Mains Failure Relay will be capable of automatically switching on and off any number of devices with automatic changeover back to the original state upon power restoration, the output relay in the autodialer if activated would have to be reset manually and introducing a backup generator in an automated function would be costly with the necessary control and isolation equipment unless of course your design philosophy is to provide autonomy with an appropriately sized battery bank and use the generator to provide a backup charging circuit for your batteries only.

Another option to consider would be the introduction of a UPS? As the owner operator the overall backup design philosophy has to be considered in detail and adhered to, adding functions ad-hoc will lead to duplication and additional costs, an autodialer to send you a text in the event of a power failure will cost you less than £100 plus installation, the more automatic functions and backup systems you add the more your costs will increase and as always, ‘the devil is in the detail’.

I guess you’re struggling with the weather at the moment down there in Somerset, I’ve never known so much accurate forecasting and warning of bad weather in my life, everything appears to be unfolding exactly as predicted of the last few days, that’s a first, I hope you’re all coping with it and it hasn’t caused too much damage?

Regards