Author Topic: Perch - the ideal fish if I could find any !?  (Read 504 times)

Dorian

• View Profile
Perch - the ideal fish if I could find any !?
« on: December 30, 2017, 09:19:57 09:19 »
Hi,

Dilemma of what fish to choose? (I live in Essex)

tilapia - too cold in UK! + not high enough in Omega 3 one of the key benefits of eating fish.

trout - summers (I live in Essex) will get too hot I think.

Carp/catfish - not tasty - according to most people!

Perch - seem to be tasty and temperature tolerant - however, I can't find any!! Please help.

Also please disagree with any conclusions above.

GristoKid

• View Profile
Re: Perch - the ideal fish if I could find any !?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:52:48 12:52 »
Am yet to build and set up my system this year (Surrey), but my research makes me think you are mostly correct. However trout may be suitable.

Trout fingerlings appear to be available and whilst its true they don't like the heat it depends where your tank is, if its out of direct sunlight and buried or partially buried then the ground will act as a heat sink and draw some of the heat from the water keeping it cool. If you dig a hole in your garden it feels cool not more than a few inches below the surface even on a hot day. Also the bigger the tank the better as it will be more stable in terms of temperature and hot days will not have such a big impact.

As for perch, I don't know but I will be interested to hear if you do manage to source these and how they turn out.
I have fished canals and lakes and caught many perch (presumably European us still being in Europe at the moment). I wouldn't suggest that as a source for your system, but it does prove that the live just about anywhere (have even caught them in rivers with reasonably flow) so they must be reasonably hardy. Still water (lakes and some canals) can be low in dissolved oxygen and warm in the summer as the water does not move and they seem to be quite happy.

Let us all know how you get on.

Scanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 05:26:53 17:26 »
Trout are fine in the UK. We did look at Perch and found a coarse fish supplier for them. However, went with trout and great. They put weight on very quickly far more so than Carp which we also have. Various places to get trout as well, we get ours from a fishery in Derbyshire, Lead Mill Trout Farm, (Approx 50p / 100gm fish) collected. They deliver but costs more.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:08:39 21:08 »
Hi Dorian, I agree with Steve, trout are a good fish for our climate as long as the fish tanks are out side of the green house. They do put on good size relatively quickly and they are great to eat. As long as the water is turning over adequately and they have plenty of oxygen you will not go far wrong. Good luck and keep us posted.