Author Topic: experimenting with pots  (Read 1118 times)

Craig

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
experimenting with pots
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:27 10:43 »
I have recently changed one of my DWC trays, I have lowered the water level and put in a syphon so the water never goes higher than five inches. Then put pot with hydroton and plants in. I have stolen the idea from one of Affnan's videos on utube (Affnan's Aquaponics). I have high hopes for this system, it is very easy to move plants about and a simple way to keep plants like mint in check. I have no problems with wood lice or slugs and the brassicas are doing really well.  The real test will be in the next few months and I will report back how it is going. Thanks Craig

Neill

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: experimenting with pots
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:53:52 10:53 »
Sounds really interesting Craig, do you have any pictures or info as to how it worked for you? ;D

Spurlin

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: experimenting with pots
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 06:16:52 18:16 »
I'd love to hear how did this setup work for you. I think I've seen the video you're talking about, I was considering doing the same thing.

Craig

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 35
    • View Profile
Re: experimenting with pots
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:48:19 14:48 »
Hi Guys, sorry for the late reply. I ran the system last year and I am over the moon with how easy it was to stay on top of and how well the plants did.
The system consisted of two eight foot x two foot wooden ply board troughs with liners and a simple syphon at the end that controlled the water level to about five inches. (It took fifteen minutes for the water to get to a level to engage the syphon and five minutes to empty).
I had an array of plants in this system, the first trough had all the herbs, lettuce, strawberries, and chillies. The second trough I had tomatoes, cauliflower, Cucumbers, chillies, cabbage, an avocado plant that I rescued from the compost heap two years ago and two grape vines that got off to a slow start but came on towards the end of the season, not convinced they are going to be great but I will give it a couple more seasons.
The advantages I found were easy to monitor the system and I could make slight alterations easily, the plants were easily moved about, i could control the depth of water the plants sat in by highering or lowering the pots, there were no slugs or woodlice, it was very easy to clean the hydroton and pots and the mint was able to grow and not spread and take over the whole bed.
The disadvantages were that algae grew in the troughs and, and I cannot think of anything else, this is something that I will definitely try again this year. I will try and get some pictures together for this year.