Author Topic: fish harvest  (Read 802 times)

Craig

• View Profile
fish harvest
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:18 11:12 »
When I started my system two and a half years ago I had high hopes of a continual stock of fish and veg, maybe not all year round but definitely from late spring to to early autumn. The reality is over the last two years the learning curve for aquaponics and growing fish and plants has been steep, and there have been many times when I have just lost interest.
 My first fish were 16 gold fish which I put in over the winter to start the system off, I then introduced thirty trout fingerlings which I got from Bibary trout farm (Recommend them, they are very helpful) With hind sight I should not of got that many. The trout grew very quickly and by the end of the summer I was eating trout with my salads, I did not get any exact weights but they were around a pound. I have now just harvested the last two trout which were two years and one month old and they were beauties, the first was 5lb 12oz and the second was 6lb4oz.
I have shared this story because the spring is just around the corner and I am looking forward to the start of the new season making plans and tinkering to fine tune the system. All the best for this season Craig

Scanderson

• View Profile
Re: fish harvest
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:54:55 12:54 »
Hi Craig
They sound like monsters:) How long did they end up?  I have spent all last year cycling the beds with no fish, scrawny veg, too busy at work. Just stocked with 12x 6-8" and 50x 2-3" trout (separate tanks) and I am planning to mix in a few various carp (for tank cleaning and variety) which I am collecting Friday from Ripples (Telford). All set for a busy Spring/summer. Planning on a 3 tank rotation of trout 6months apart buying in 50off  (50mm) min size as they are the cheapest. Just got 50 for 15 from trout farm in Hathersage in the Peaks.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:15 15:39 »
Hi Scanderson,
 Im sorry I cannot tell you how long they got, I just weighed them. I like the sound of your system, to be able to rotate the tanks is an excellent option. I have two tanks and one I keep trout and the other I have a mixture of gold fish, koi, carp, tench and rud. I put one of the carp in with the trout to keep the bottom clean You will find that the trout don't like to eat food from the bottom, they will go nuts to catch the food before it reaches the bottom. However over time my trout do take food from the bottom, I would put a bigger carp in with the trout because the trout will try and bully the carp as they get bigger.
 By rotating the tanks you could get to the stage where you have a continual supply of trout. I usually get my trout in January as fingerlings and by spring they are eating well and producing a good amount of nutrients for the system, my tanks are out side of the green house which keeps the water cool. By September the fish are of a size that I can harvest them and as the numbers go down the system is needing less nutrients. My mixed fish tank are my resident fish that I keep all year. I am just putting a tank inside the green house to breed and grow Koi. This tank will be linked to a couple of beds so it will be independent of the main system.
Please tell me about your system and your plans. It would be good to hear how others are making their systems, good ideas inspire me to tinker with my own system.. Thank you Scanderson, all the best Craig.

Scanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:42:30 00:42 »
Hi Craig
I am using an old donated party tent frame 6 x4m covered with steel sheeting to waist height all on concrete covered with UPVC sheeting. The beds are made from a wood support frame for strength with 19mm ply 8'x 2'x 1', 1 sheet / bed with some scrappy bits for the ends. Lined with pond liner works great and relatively cheap but uses the space well. I have 5 beds crossways and planning on having a vertical strawberry section against the other side. Sump tank running underneath all 5 beds approx 1500l. 2 fish tanks IBC outside with a spare for rain water catchment at the moment but I will have the autumn fingerlings in there later this year. Finding out this year what grows best in this medium as more used to soil cultivation. Toms and beetroot flying, cress + Pakchoi got burned by sun. I am hoping fennel, celery, spinach + sugar snap peas will do well. Meanwhile the Allottment has just been ploughed ready for all my other stuff just about managing to keep abreast. The AP unit is certainly a lot less work. I have just invested in 3 auto fish feeders for the 3 tanks, more than I wanted to pay but it then allows for holidays😀.
The initial trout bought in feb as 140gm fish will hopefully start to get to plate size by sept, some nearly there already. They do not seem to grow at the same rate. Lost a few over the year due to no mesh on tank outlets (my fault) and others somehow getting out of the tank onto floor? Running with basic solids filter at the moment, still making my mind up re how effective they are or if necessary at all.  The Aussie AP guy seems in favour of getting as much worms and fish poo into the beds as possible to make it more like a soil compost but with clay balls for drainage. I imagine with time the beds will mature to this state anyway as roots and leaves rot down. It would be interesting to see some much older beds to see if this is correct.Any way ,if you are near Brum, pop in for a glass of wine and a chat re AP.
Regards Steve Anderson