Author Topic: New Forest Sturgeon say hello!  (Read 1103 times)

New Forest Sturgeon

• View Profile
New Forest Sturgeon say hello!
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:07:35 23:07 »
Hello we would like to introduce ourselves.

We run an aquaponics farm in the new forest – called New Forest Sturgeon. As you can guess by the name our fish are sturgeon, although we do have a large selection of Koi, and various other species of ornamental coldwater fish.

These are housed in a commercial size greenhouse which we have had for about 9 years, we started growing plants aquaponically about 5 years. The first few years we were just experimenting as we were still running our aquatics centre – Greenmann Aquatics in Dorset. This year we closed our shop, and are now concentrating on aquaponics.
We also have a unit about the same size as the bristol fish project, this stocks dry goods, and will be where we do fish sales (mainly of the koi etc) to stop everyone coming to the greenhouse. We have also been offered another two greenhouses so plenty of room for expansion.
Dave trained in fish farming and fisheries management gaining his HND in 1987, he has worked as a trout farmer, and in various types of work within the ornamental fish industry. His career has also involved pond building and maintenance.
Lucie has worked within the pet and aquatics industry most of her career. We met working in an aquarium shop, and ran our own shop for 8 years.
We now run Greenmann pond services – so still building and cleaning ponds!
We look forward to new adventure in aquaponics. if we can be of any help please feel free to ask fishy / plumbing questions

AquaVeg

• Administrator
  • Keep it sustainably GREEN
    • View Profile
    • AquaVeg
Re: New Forest Sturgeon say hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:37:32 16:37 »
Welcome, its good to have the professionals on board. We have a few AP farms on this forum and from time to time they do post info on what they are up too. Over the past few years we have had a steady growth of members, although they are not very active in posting (too busy working on the AP systems !)

Would be good if you could do a quick write up and some pics of your system.
best regards John. 

New Forest Sturgeon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 09:38:50 21:38 »
I am sorry I can't work out how to add photos here.
I have quite a few pictures of our greenhouse on Instagram under the name watercress_queen.

Neill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:37:14 11:37 »
Hey guys, I came to find your farm a few weeks ago as we were down New Forest way on holiday. But i didnt read the website properly and turned up on a Thursday when your closed  :(, im gonna try again in October, it looks so interesting what your doing.  :)